Tally-Ho

As a kid, I wanted to be a lot of things growing up. I wanted to be a pilot. I wanted to be a superhero. I wanted to be a scientist. I wanted to be the President. I actually at one time wanted to be a dinosaur.
A couple years ago, I was watching this medical biography on the Discovery Health channel. The story was on a New York City paramedic. The last shot was of him riding out of the station and into the city streets on his motor cycle. And I thought, "Wow, I want that to be me."

I just got back from my first rotation on the ambulance. Rotations are like half-intern half-pledge work. My job was to take vitals and lug around a 20-something pound bag with an oxygen tank inside. But most of the night was spent on the ambulance watching DVDs and eating. I picked a night shift because I thought that shit happens at night. Apparently, more shit happens in the day time. I got about five hours of sleep ahead of me before I'm back out on the streets.

I feel a calling is where your desires and the world's needs meet. So here I am, making my way into something I feel is my calling. I'm not a pilot, but I'll be flying down the streets. I'm not a superhero, but I'll be there when people need help. I'm not a scientist, but I'll be making advances to save somebody's life one day. I'm not the President, but I'll be respected in my community. I'm not a dinosaur, but I'll - I'll - umm, I'm not a dinosaur.

There I was, diving into the night on my way into becoming an EMT. Quoting Spider-Man when he first web-slinged (and crashed into his face)...

Tally-ho.

0 Responses to “Tally-Ho”

Post a Comment