Black and White and Gray

It's a cold day in the city. I'm beginning to realize just how much I'm beginning to like fall. The ambience is something unique. The cold breeze beating against your face. The warm air channeling from your mouth, up the scarf and into your eyes. The crunch of the leaves satisfies your feet. In these moments, you can feel that the world was made for you. Maybe it's the meloncholy skies that match your insides, but these days, the world is made for you.

I'm walking with a friend today in the city. Never really got to be with her outside of school until now. We're handing around South Street Seaport and this woman is walking with her son as he's rolling around in one of those toy plastic cars. The kid had to be about four years old

He catches a slope and begins rolling down into the street. A truck is rolling across and fast. The mother screams. The kid unaware of it all is just enjoying the ride. Come on kid, move. Move!
Think fast. Think faster. Gotta think fast. I dash to the kid and grab him and his car just as the truck rolls past. The mother's freaking out and thanks me.
I smile and told the kid to be careful in the future. Me and my friend just continued on our way to Battery Park.

I have to say that that was one of my proudest moments out of many. My friend said something to me later. With a bunch of things that happened that day, she said, "You make everyone in this city smile. We need more people like you out here."

I took those words to heart and have since lived my life for others. Taking care of myself was never one of my fortès. If anything, looking after myself has just been my greatest foible. If everybody had eachother's backs, a lot of good things could happen. You wouldn't even have to worry so much about what's before you if you know that someone's out there looking after you.

Unfortunately in this world, there are a lot of scumbags. People who look out for themselves and would cut down others to get what they want. But I can hope that someone out there would follow in the footsteps of all the good people in past.

Live for others. And others would live for you.
But there's a point when you have to be prudent and look out for yourself. Because if you can't help yourself, then how can you be strong enough to help others?

Me? I'm still trying to figure out where that point is.

0 Responses to “Black and White and Gray”

Post a Comment