Frater

Junior year. I just got back from a summer in Japan and I'm back with the same room-mate in the same room. This Chinese freshman lives down the hall. I don't know why, but I don't like the kid. Maybe because he has all these friends around him? Maybe because he plays guitar with his door wide-open? Maybe because he's so much like me when I was a Freshman that I'm a little jealous?
Such passion. Such optimism. Such Naivetè.
Was I any different? Not at all.

After a long day of classes, I like to kick back in my room with my guitar. Out of nowhere, this kid comes in and says how he hears a guitar. He was better than me at guitar - a lot better.
This guy comes by every now and then and hangs out with me and my room-mate. I'm barely in my room, but when I come back to the hal there he is hanging out in my room.
He moved to another room on the other side of the building, but he still came down to hang out.

Summer time rolls around. Cruise to the Caribbean with the family. And guess who I see on the boat. There's that guy from the hall again, getting ice cream with his kid brother. I called out to him, but he couldn't hear me. So I sneak up to the ice cream machine and I just stare at him. His little brother is a little weirded out and tells him someone's staring at him. He freaked out.
It was good to have a friend from school on the cruise too. Definitely one of the bsst summer's ever.

Back to school. And this guy is now coming into the club that I jsut got plugged into. He's got a lot of ideas. During his first time in a cabinet meeting, he was so careful not to step on anybody toes. Who knew he'd become president of the club someday.
I started pledging, and he was one of three people I told that I was pledging. It was supposed to be hush-hush, but I missed my spending time with my friends.

In a fraternity. Done with college. But I never forgot my friend. I made a point not to ditch them. I was never really good at keeping friends, but I made sure this batch of friends was here to stay. ME and him have been through thick and thin. We always make sure we push eachother to be the ebst person we can be.

The other day, I pulled a prank on him and he got really mad. REALLY mad. I began to wonder if this could be the end of an era. IN the end, friendship came around. We were good sports in the end; but you can bet he's gonna find a way to retaliate somehow.

I always find myself complicating my life with too many promises to too many people. Sometimes I wish I could jsut cut some people out and simplify it all.
You need family. You need a friend. You need a girl.
Well in a simpler life, I got my friend right here.

Here's to you brother...
\m/ HOLLAH! \m/

1 Responses to “Frater”

  1. # Blogger Derrick

    i still can't believe you emailed streeter and amir. you're dead bro.  

Post a Comment