Comedy in Tragedy

Schadenfreude. It's one of my favorite words. It's a German word which means an elation in the misfortune of others. Seems like a twisted concept, doesn't it?
Getting off on the shit that happens to people?! And you call yourself one of the "good guys". Who are you kidding? What kind of sadistic mental case would enjoy that?

Well, me; and I'm sure you in your own twisted way do too. I smile when I see some girl walking on a windy rainy day and her umbrella all of a sudden POOFS inside out. I laugh when I see an old man slip on an icy patch and bust his bottom. I crack up when I'm in an awkward situation with a couple is fighting.

Messed up? Maybe. But we all have our guilty pleasures. I mean my best friend, my number one confidant, cracks up in my face whenever I'm mad. And that only makes me madder, which makes him laugh harder. Asshole.
But it's okay, because there are times I laugh right back at him for something stupid.

I'm writing about this because something weird has been happening to me lately. I think I'm taking this schadenfreude thing to another level; to a point where it could be just plain sick. Things are getting really gross in my EMT class. The images are getting too real. I can barely look at the screen anymore. I sit right in front, and those images are ten feet tall in my face. I can barely sit still anymore. I must've pulled my hood over my head a hundred times and clicked my pen in anxiety two hundred. I can barely take it, and rotations haven't even started yet.

During the last class, something weird happened. I started laughing. Making jokes, corny jokes, but jokes left and right. One guy had an arrow in his throat and it came out the other side. I made some wisecrack that it must've been around Valentine's day. I haven't been twisting awkward in my seat anymore, I'm just laughing out loud.

This is my way to cope, but I don't think this is the right way to do that. Is there even a "right way"? Maybe not. At the beginning of all this, my instructor said that this is how most EMTs get the stress out of their system, so maybe this is only natural. But part of me still feels that this isn't right, and maybe I should just man up and take it and do my job. Someday, maybe I can do that. I'll definitely try.

But for now, I'll just laugh it off. Schadenfreude.

1 Responses to “Comedy in Tragedy”

  1. # Blogger Derrick

    i'm so glad i wasn't there in that class cause i would have cracked up on that valentine joke. it's 5:16am on my clock and i'm laughing my ass off loudly haha!  

Post a Comment