The Calling

Today I woke up earlier than usual for a disaster drill at the hospital at 8:30 AM. It was a trip.
Basically, I had to act as a patient involved in a chemical lab explosion with an eviscerated abdomen. I put on this fake wound, with my intestines pouring out my side. My instructor sprayed me down with some fake blood and - Tada! I'm a trauma patient. I was also wearing my swim shorts underneath, since it was a hazmat situation and I might have had to be decontaminated in the showers. And there's nothing more awkward than having total strangers scrub you down; unless of course that stranger was Jessica Alba. Can you say "Hottie"?
Luckily it was too cold to go through it all. After all, it was just a drill. The funny thing is that I ran into my God-sister's younger brother there (I guess that makes him my God-brother? I'm not too sure how that works). He was recording the whole drill for the staff. It turns out he's a nurse now, I think. And he figured out I'm going to be an EMT.

Something has been bugging me lately about all this EMT stuff. And it's something I shouldn't be worrying too much about. It's what other people think about me becoming an EMT. Basically, any high school shmo can become an EMT. Me? I'm a 23 year-old college "graduate" with almost a Psychology degree under my belt. Shouldn't I be pursuing something... "higher"? Here's what I think.
I've spent about five years at the university. I learned a lot about myself, but mostly, I learned a lot about people, how their minds work and how they function within relationships. Because let's face it, us humans are social creatures. We thrive on interactions. And with what I've learned in college in both the classroom and with the people I know, I feel I can really put to good use out there on the streets. "But why not a counselor or advertising?"
People are their most vulnerable when they're in pain. Emotions are raw. The moment matters. That's when someone needs to step in and tell you that everything - everything, will be alright.
Well, that and I gotta admit that I get a thrill when I see all the blood and nasty injuries. I can't exactly stomach it all yet, but it does make me feel more alive.

And that's what I stick by. What are most people doing every day? Crunching numbers. Filing papers. Collating. Filing TPS reports and what-not.
Me? I'll be on the front line seeing the ugly. While most people are comfy in their cubicles, I'll be on the streets. Sure, I'll be starting at $15 an hour, but you can't put a price on the things you see out there.
So no matter what people say or how people will question me,
this is my calling... on these mean streets.

0 Responses to “The Calling”

Post a Comment