Sleepless in New York

It feels like forever since I last sat down and just write. I think it's about time I did.

Last night, was one of those sleepless nights. You know what I mean, when you just lay in bed and just not being able to turn off your mind? So you lay there, tossing and turning until you see the blue sky creep up in your window. I tried everything. Sleeping on my side. Sleeping on my stomach. Flipping the pillows to the cooler side. Sleeping with the blankets over my head. Nothing. Maybe my music was on too loud for me to turn off my head. Whatever it was, I just couldn't turn my mind off. So I just lay there sleeping with the ghosts of my past.
Here's a chunk of what blitzed through my mind last night...

2007 was a roller coaster. It started about a girl, like most things in my life. And ended it ended about a girl. Yeah, I became a "scumbag", but I found something that made me happy. And that "something" I didn't get anywhere else. It was a fun distraction. But in the end, maybe that's all it was - a distraction. I don't know. But the year did carry a few good things, like getting close to a good group of friends. And I am on my way to finding out my calling.

It's 2008 now. Another new year. Another new beginning. Another fresh start. How many fresh starts will I get until I finally get my act together. "Get my act together"?! Honestly, I feel things ain't that bad. My life is actually picking up. Somethings, like my career and my family life, are falling into place. Sure there are still debts to pay. And I have to finish getting my degree, but all in all. Life is looking pretty good.
There are some things that are still kind fo sour, but they've been sour for years! For example, I still don't have a girlfriend. I'm beginning to think that maybe there's some great defect that stops me from getting on. I don't know - maybe? But since my best friend has bounced back into relationships since his break-up this past spring THREE TIMES. I think it's about time i stopped dragging my feet and genuinely tried to foster a relationship, don't you think?

All in all, it's a brand new chapter to the story of my life. And sure God will sometimes yank the rug out from under me, but I still can't wait to see what he has in for me this time around.

After wrestling with my covers and my thoughts last night, I was up and out again by 7:00 AM for more EMT training. Today we went to the junk yard and worked with the NYPD Emergency Service Unit and worked on rapid extrication in a motor vehicle accident. After a restless night followed by trudging through muddy ground carrying student-patients in awkward positions out of cramped cars again and again and again, I made my way to church. My home church. Somethings seemed to change. And something didn't. It was nice to have a sense of dependability with a splash of variety, kind like Lucky Charms (What is it with me and that cereal?! I'm really more of a Cinnamon Toast Crunch kinda guy).

With this year, I'm hoping to kick out a few bad habits. And also trying to be more honest, not just with others - but with myself too. I got this feeling that something good gonna happen. I can just feel it - like God's got something up his sleeve just for me. I hope so. I pray so.
So listen to my story, and we'll see what happens in this chapter.

Cheers - to a brand new day!

0 Responses to “Sleepless in New York”

Post a Comment