In a Perfect World

In a perfect world, what would you do? No one would get hurt. No one would get sick. What would you do?

A friend brought it up to me that I should be a writer. I thought about it, and it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Back when I was a kid, I hated English class. I hated writing. It took up too much of my energy - writing sentence after sentence. Maybe I was just lazy. My teachers said I had a real knack for it. But it wasn't just for me. At seven years old, I made a bold existential cry that despite my talent, writing wasn't for me. I was just lazy.

Whenever my family had to give a greeting card for a birthday, a wedding or whatever, my mom always entrusted me with writing a little something extra in the card. I'd groan saying how the greeting card company had something already written. She keep pushing saying that I'm good with words.

I remember back in high school, I had this crush on a girl. We'd right letters back and forth and pass them to each other throughout the day. She'd write a long one, and I'd easily top her. I mean I usually wear my heart on my sleeve - but wen I wrote, it was like my heart climbed down my arm and into my fingertips. Before I knew it, I had written four pages.
Writing, especially about something I felt passionate about felt so natural.

In school, I stepped up to right a few scenes for an annual Chinese cultural show. Ended up doing it two years in a row. My friends said how all my characters sounded exactly like me. Honestly, I didn't know what they were talking about. But it felt really good to write and know that your characters would come to life, and that hundreds of people would watch them. My friend said how last year's show was the best one yet. That felt really good.

Lately, I've taken a shot at writing music again. I've got melodies hammered out - but these days, I'm lost for words. Maybe I need some inspiration, like some Greek mythological muse to come down and kick me with some re-newed passion.

I remember sitting down one day and watching some late night talk show - I think it was Conan O'Brian. And I thought, "Wow, I would love to do that. Make people laugh and just talk to people".

In a perfect world, where no one would get hurt and no one would get sick, I'd be a writer.
But as you can see, this isn't exactly a perfect world". Far from it. People get hurt. People get sick. Shit happens. And someone's gotta take care of people when they're down and out and when they feel most vulnerable.

But hey - why not make people laugh on the way? Laughter is the best medicine anyway, isn't it?

0 Responses to “In a Perfect World”

Post a Comment