Doing Good

You know what the weird thing about winter is? It's how early the sun sets. It's about 5:30 PM, but it feels like it's 10:something. Weird, huh? Just getting back home from church with the family. My brother even came home for the weekend. My mom's leaving for Japan and the Philippines on Tuesday and won't be back until after Christmas.
Sucks. especially since Christmas seaspn is one of those family times.

My brother's going back to school tonight. He was willing to talk the bus from Penn Station, but my doting and over-bearing mom said we'd drive him back. "We"; at the cost of me and my dad's sleep.
I asked if anybody would mind if I stayed home to study. I had one of those monster tests of 100 questions on trauma patients I really needed to rock on. Nobody minded. But I could tell my kid brother kind of did.
So I sucked it up, and went with them to drive my brother back. three and a half hours, each way. That's some good studying time gone bye-bye. But this is time with my family. And it's kind of a mini-roadtrip. And with my family, roadtrips are our family time.

After a good drive out, punctuated by singing out whatever Christmas lyrics we knew playing out on station after station (three hours on the road pulls you in and out of station ranges more than a drunken prom night - know what I mean?). LIke every family drive, it was a good time. Four hours later, we were on our way back home and I was up to drive.

It was a cold, wet and windy night. After about thirty minutes in, we see this car spin out and smack into an SUV. I pulled over right away, and my and my dad jumped out to check if people were alright. Everyone was ok, except for a little 10 year old girl who was limping on her right leg. It's always the little ones.
We waited for EMS and the police to show up, and let whoever was riding sit in our minivan to keep warm and dry. About an hour later, the mess was cleared up and reports were filed, the police gave rides to whoever was in the accident and we were on our way back home to New York. I thought to myself how most EMT's can be dicks, there only to do the job - if there's no one really hurt, no biggie. Why? You're an EMT in Bumblefuck, Rhode Island - Do you REALLY have something "better to do"?! Assholes.
Me? I'll be different.

We got home three hours later, coming home a little before 6:00 AM. I was tired. My dad was too. My practically slept the whole way home. On my way up to my room, my dad said "You did good tonight."
My mom said, "Goodnight, superhero." I laughed thinking about how well my mom knew me. And I smiled hering some affirmation form my dad, which comes only once and a while.

So what if I missed some study time, which I really needed. I did good by my family by coming out tonight. I did good by strangers on a cold, wet and windy road.

I did good tonight. I did good.


Now - gotta study, and find some time to clean my room...

0 Responses to “Doing Good”

Post a Comment