Magically Delicious

A whole lot of nothing seems to be happening to me lately. But on the other hand, a good bunch of somethings have been popping up here and there. Kind of like the marshmallows in your breakfast cereal. My life is Lucky Charms; a cereal that is mostly chunks of cardboard, punctuated by powdery suger puffs.

The cereal chunks of my life are the day to day business - bland, and sometimes brutually tough. It hurts my head (and my mouth) thinking about the cereal chunks. The marshmallow bits are much more - flavorful.

For the Halloween weekend, I dressed up as emo - well, technically I was goth for a night because I went to far into the "dark side"). So there I was, in tight black jeans, black converses, black nail polish, tattoos down my arm, a wig, and black eye-liner to accentuate that emo feel. And let me tell you, it's amazing how you look on the outside seeps deep into your psyche making you act - not quite yourself. Usually I'm a happy go-lucky guy, willing to play the jester just win a smile on someone's face, sometimes I'm the only one that smiles. But that night, I wasn't exactly the life of the party. I was so wrapped in my image I began to act - emo. It's funny thinking back on it, but that night it was weird; like a shock of cognitive dissonance echoed in me. It was weird to say the least.
I had it in my head that I was going to be the Human Spider - you know, from that wrestling scene in the first Spider-Man movie. But everyone saw it coming, so I figured I'd go with something a little more surprising.
Me being emo. A surprise to no one - but yours truly.

That night on the way to the Halloween party, I had a feeling that the woman sititng in front of me on the R train was talking about me in Spanish with her friend. No biggie.
She had a mustache. No matter what she says, she loses by default.

I met up with my friends, but we never got into the party at Roseland. Some joker decided to start trouble inside the party and that brings the police in to shut down the line. The party was outside on the line anyway. We made our way to St. Marks. We karaoked for a good two hours. Best karaoke session ever - and most painful. While singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" with the guys, we decide to start a little moshpit during the instrumental break. One ill-timed landing and one misplaced bump later, I'm sent flying into the corner. All I remember is that the floor disappeared, and a touble corner found its way to my back. Note to self: Mosh sideways and in, never up and out.
Two of my friends were sitting down, and had just broken up. The room was ringning with R&B classics, and I loved the look on their faces: Two people trying to ignore the cathartic call of the song, sitting next to eachother staring off into the distance and completely aware of who was next to them. Maybe it was the beer, and maybe it was just out right funny. They're back together though, for that I'm very happy.
I have a bunch of good memories in that neighborhood. Now I have one more.

One night, my cousin's girlfriend called me up and told me they had broken up. He confessed to me that he had hit her. And here's this girl crying her eyes out on the phone. I couldn't help but feel a bit annoyed. I had EMT class in less than an hour, and a girl I barely talk to is spilling her heart out to me. But I did what any good guy would do, I heard her out - even though, I wanted so bad to just make up an excuse. So there I was mustering up whatever empathy I could for a "stranger". I admit I was annoyed to be burdened out of the blue like that, even though my heart wasn't in it, I did the right thing and heard her out. They're back together working things out.

The next day I was my way up to visit some friends on campus, and a friend called me to tell me she had just broken up with her boyfriend, my friend. I bagan to think that maybe there was a sign slapped on my forehead reading, "When Shit Hits the Fan with Your Man - Call this Guy". I was willing to hear this one out though, because she's a friend, not a stranger. I told her I'd take some time out to visit her and her room mate. I flaked on those plans. Those two aren't back together. I could've read that he wasn't as into her as she was in him.

I just spent the last five days at the good old university. I felt that I needed to break out from the mundane, so there I was in good company. And man it was great. I couldn't even begin to write how great it was because - you have to be me and you have to be them to know. Ups and downs, but over all it was a good time.

So after watching a video online where this girl takes the cinnamon challenge (try to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon in one shot). Me and another buddy of mine suckered our friend to do it, and then another friend. After recording the ordeal and the expressions on their faces, we owed it to them to try it ourselves. Big mistake. My throat closed up with the quickness and choked over the kitchen sink for a good minute or two. You know that disclaimer they put on videos of extreme stupidty? I learned you really should listen to them.

My best friend was getting intimate with two girls. But he made up his mind on who, but he still lead the other girl on.
Somehow I often find myself in the middle, like a third wheel, or even a fifth wheel. I got fed up with it one night and just set out on my own. I was especially annoyed at my friend. He knew the right thing to do, but he ignored it. Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy. But when he reminded me of how bad I fucked up when I was talking to a girl from California with a boyfriend, I promised him I'd dead it. And I did for the most part. It sucks for me, because I really miss that girl. But for him, he knows the right thing to do and he ignored it; it's like he wanted his cake and to eat it too. But some people don't even have cake to eat. They get pudding (Okay, I don't know where I was going with that line).
It ended up biting him in the ass the other night, when that girl he was leading on saw him snuggling with the girl he had chosen. And now he feels guilty.
What could I say "You did the right thing"? I'm not going to feed the guy sugar-coated lies to make him feel better.
He fucked up. He's going to take responsibility and move forward. Because he's just that kind of guy, to always, no matter how bad it might get, he moves forward.
Me? I'm just going to do some damage control and hope things will work out in the best interest of both sides. Because she's a sweet girl and and I wouldn't want her to get sour. And he's my best friend; if anyone's gonna have his back, shouldn't that person be me?

So here I am. Lucky Charms. And life is magically delicious, sometimes too sweet with all these couples running around. I always wonder when that girl will come around.
One of the things I absolutely hate hearing is "Don't worry about it, that girl will come around if you don't look for her". I've heard it so much, I hate hearing it. It's such a cop-out thing to say.
I believe in life, you have to go out and pursue what you want.
Because if you just scoop out what life throws at you, you'll get hurt by most of the bland-cardboard-chunks-that-cut-the-roof-of-your-mouth you'll pick up. You have to go out and find those marshmallows.

And when all is said it done, drink the milk. Because in the end life is too good to pour it all down the drain.

0 Responses to “Magically Delicious”

Post a Comment