Scars and Bandages

After another night on the town, I even got a little time to myself at a local bookstore.
After getting back home and winding down a bit, I decided to call up a friend. This friend just broke up with her boyfriend, thinking about how she can't say "I love you" anymore to him. I don't need to hear words to know she loves him, I can hear it in the way she cries on the other line.
Now these two are both very good friends of mine; they both carry some of my own secrets. He seems to be adjusting well; keyword: seems. Her, she's torn up. After hearing her out on the phone, crying while she was talking to me, I couldn't help but feel for her.

Relationships are a funny thing. Me? I haven't been in a real relationship for as long as I can remember. But tonight, I really want this to work out for her.
Whenever I call the guy, he's as regular as rain in Spain (is there really that much rain in Spain?)
But whenever I call the girl, she's torn up. She really loves this guy. I can just feel it...
Now I never really believed in luck, but this guy is so lucky to have her; someone that misses the crap outta him. I think he misses her too, but he's jsut to proud to miss her back. Even though technically there aren't with each other write now, their thoughts are there. And I'm thinking "Wow, I want that."

Senior year of high school, I thought I found that exact thing. Two weeks and and there was a fall-out. No better word for it. It was like a nuclear bomb dropped between me and here, shattering what expectations we had in eachother and slowly killing off what hope was left. I saw her on September 11th. She was across the room in 5th period: Romance Philology (and no that isn't a typo) crying. And something deep inside me was telling me to go over there. I never did. We talked later in the year and grew close, eventually ending up on the same page. We liked each other. And I was ecstatic to have someone think of me, to believe in me so much. After the bomb dropped on us, I was devastated. She saw me differently. I saw myself differently.
And the girl who once see me as a hero saw me as a menace. That was my first love story.
I opened up my heart only to get myself ripped apart from the inside out.
What a scar, right?

Now I'm 6 years older. 6 years stronger. 6 years wiser.
Would I go back in time and change it. Maybe I would go back to that day in September and get my behind up and go to her... and just say goodbye after that. I can't do that, but a guy can just think of the what if's.
Life throws you a lot of pitches. Some are slow and straight. Some are crazy curve balls.
But sooner or later, you're gonna have to take a chance and just swing.
Just swing!

0 Responses to “Scars and Bandages”

Post a Comment