Where The Action Is

From as far as back as I can remember, I've spent my nights up and about waiting for action. Of course on some quiet lonely nights, I've taken myself out to where action can wait for me. Right now, I'm beginning a new life where I can be right where that action is. Tonight was my first night of class on my way to becoming certified New York State EMT (Emergency Medical Technician).
I've got a lot to learn and there is a ton of material to absorb, but I am excited.

Excited? Fuck that.
I am blitzed out of my mind stoked!

As I walked into class today, I felt a kind of nausea similar to those awkward high school days. I suddenly felt like the new kid in class all over again. I overheard some chatter about some people taking this course a another time. Immediately, I felt an "Uh-oh" jump up in my throat. Maybe this wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. There is actually a possiblity of me failing. I definitely need to stay on my toes.
As we waited for the lecture to begin, people were beginning to click together and chit-chat. Would I be making friends? I reminded myself that I am not here to make friends. I am here to learn, and I need to stay focused.

After a brief course overview and introductions, we learned about the history of EMTs and our impact on today's society, especially after 9/11. One of our instructors, who was as round as he was funny (which is to say very round and very funny), said something that stuck in my head. He said something like...

Everybody is somebody. We're there for the lowest of the low as well as the highest of the high. Whether we are carrying someone wearing four layers of clothing soaked in urine or helping Donald Trump down a flight of stairs, we help everybody. And everybody is somebody.

As I left the lecture hall, overwhelmed by the information given and the material to come, I knew I was on my way to do something good. I am on my way to doing something that people can't twist the truth around and call me a "bad guy". And it feels almost natural. Natural.
From as far as back as I can remember, I've spent my nights up and about waiting for action. Of course on some quiet lonely nights, I've taken myself out to where action can wait for me. These nights, that's where I am going: where the action is.

1 Responses to “Where The Action Is”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    Hey, thanks for the visit! I can't believe you found that post. so long ago! I apologize that if you had to sift through all my terrible blabberings about random...ness.
    And to answer your questions, if it's important, they'll leave a voicemail,if it's some girl who shrugged you off, then it's not important, and if it's your mom, she'll call again and again and again. it will be irritating, but that's what mom's do, irritate with love.

    and gl on your class!  

Post a Comment