« Home

Unmasking

"The power of the secret identity. It allows us to persist in the delusion that we are something really special, that there is no one like us. It also allows us to indulge in a fair amount of self-pity and a martyr complex. Ah, the suffering that we must endure because we can never really let anyone see through to our true selves, our real vulnerabilites - because if they did - then they would know how to hurt us... Sometimes a character doesn't even have to wear a mask to have a 'secret identity.' And although we don't wear (literal) masks in our daily lives, we all have secret identities."
-J.R. Fettinger of www.spideykicksbutt.com on "Secret Identity"

Who am I? Are you sure you want to know?
Well, to sum it all up, I guess you can call me one of the "good-guys". A super-hero.

I'm sure you are wondering what powers I have or where i fight crime.
What are my origins? How did I get my powers? And all these little details are fine and dandy to be printed up on some $3.99 book in a comic shop, that's not why I'm writing.
The question here is: without the mask, who am I?

At the end of the day, the super-hero has to sooner or later take-off his mask and be who he was meant to be, not what the world needs him to be.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer."

Underneath this mask, I'm just your everyday ordinary guy. Trying to keep a handle on my job. Struggling to pay rent. Chasing after the same girl since God knows when.
I'm the boy next door. I'm the guy you almost walked into on the streets. I'm the guy who felt it was too awkward to try to squeeze into an empty seat next to you on the train and decided to just stand instead. I'm the guy who is always around, but never there when you're looking for him.

So here I am. I'm not a super-hero. Just a guy trying to be a hero... six minutes longer.
This blog is me, with my mask... off.

3 Responses to “Unmasking”

  1. # Blogger Derrick

    pretty awesome dude.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    This comment has been removed by the author.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Dear And Respected Friend ( Not A Super Hero ),

    Really Glad To Read Your Posts, Your Thoughts.....You Are A Super Hero For Many People Around You, Whom You Help, Whom You Listen To, A Super Hero For Your Friends.

    You Are A Super Hero, Cause You Are My Friend !

    May God Bless You Lots And Lots Of Health, Joys, Victories & Success, Nice And Caring People, ( Fair ) Money, And All Those Good Things Which God Suggests You Deserve And Are Suitable For You.

    Good Luck And Best Wishes For Your Future, Life And Aims.  

Post a Comment